News today is not exactly "news". What we see on the news is somewhat sheltered...I believe. When we see a story about a bank robbery, we think that is the most we have to worry about but it is actually what we are not seeing on the news that we need to be worrying about. The war, for example, is a huge issue and like Bill Moyers spoke about, there is hardly any coverage over war protests and things of that nature. I think the FCC is partly to blame, along with American's denial and ignorance. The FCC is basically being paid by big-whigs and is broadcasting what they want the audience to hear and know. The advertisers also probably have a big impact of what the "news" is since they are really the only source of income for news stations. Although the FCC and advertisers are probably the main reason we are not being shown real and important news, Americans are also to blame. If everyone was really up in arms about not hearing enough about the war or war protests...there are more of us than the media folks so we could fight for change if it was that important. I know it would be difficult but if people joined together to fight for change in the media I believe that we could do it.
I do not think that we need a media that specifically represents different intersts of people of color. While it may be necessary for people of color to get certain messages out, I wish it was not. I think everyone would be interested and benefit from what others have to report on and wish that there could be more communication between different sources of media so that they could decide together what truly needs to be reported on. I beleive that this could be the solution to getting the main-stream media to report on others interests. Communication is key, although I do not know what else could be done.>
The war was initially covered as a positive thing. Everyone was behind the decision of President Bush, and I still believe rightfully so since we were attacked by terrorists. I think if we had chosen not to go to war the initial response would have been negative because America felt violtaed. We had been attacked and many lives were lost. So, the war was reported as a postive thing initially.
Recently, the media has covered protests such as prop. 8 and Jenna 6 as somewhat negative in my opinion. The protests are seen as rude and annoying. My roomate even mentioned that "any protest you see on the news, they are just bashing it. " Protests are a freedom of speech and should not be portrayed negatively. People are entitled to their opinions and I think the American audience should be aware of what others think about important issues of today.
Regarding the Civil Rights Movement, I think that the media was not very helpful. Images were disturbing of police brutality and the media did not really raise a "hope for change" issue. They just sort of reported on it. I am not very enducated in this aspect of the media but assume that they were not very helpful during this trying time in U.S. history.
My thoughts on the media and their agenda are basically what I have said throughout this whole blog. We need change. Americans need to be more educated on issues around the world and issues that their fellow Americans feel are important. We are all in this life toegther so lets learn about what others are thinking and what we can do to help make the world a better place.
I do not think that we need a media that specifically represents different intersts of people of color. While it may be necessary for people of color to get certain messages out, I wish it was not. I think everyone would be interested and benefit from what others have to report on and wish that there could be more communication between different sources of media so that they could decide together what truly needs to be reported on. I beleive that this could be the solution to getting the main-stream media to report on others interests. Communication is key, although I do not know what else could be done.>
The war was initially covered as a positive thing. Everyone was behind the decision of President Bush, and I still believe rightfully so since we were attacked by terrorists. I think if we had chosen not to go to war the initial response would have been negative because America felt violtaed. We had been attacked and many lives were lost. So, the war was reported as a postive thing initially.
Recently, the media has covered protests such as prop. 8 and Jenna 6 as somewhat negative in my opinion. The protests are seen as rude and annoying. My roomate even mentioned that "any protest you see on the news, they are just bashing it. " Protests are a freedom of speech and should not be portrayed negatively. People are entitled to their opinions and I think the American audience should be aware of what others think about important issues of today.
Regarding the Civil Rights Movement, I think that the media was not very helpful. Images were disturbing of police brutality and the media did not really raise a "hope for change" issue. They just sort of reported on it. I am not very enducated in this aspect of the media but assume that they were not very helpful during this trying time in U.S. history.
My thoughts on the media and their agenda are basically what I have said throughout this whole blog. We need change. Americans need to be more educated on issues around the world and issues that their fellow Americans feel are important. We are all in this life toegther so lets learn about what others are thinking and what we can do to help make the world a better place.
You know don't nothing come easy, you gotta try real real hard I've tried hard, but I guess I gotta try harder.
ReplyDeleteBone Thugs-N-Harmony f/ Akon