This year has been great. I have really enjoyed all my classes and everything that I have learned. What I really liked about race,gender and the media was the fact that I learned things that I probably already knew but just didn't care to think about or acknowledge. This class opened my eyes though. I am now aware that there are still issues today that need to be addressed. Race and gender stereotypes, in the media and in the general public, need to somehow be put to rest. As I enter my senior year in hopes of securing a job sometime in the near future, I will take with me everything I have learned in this class to try and make a difference in the way certain groups are seen. There is no doubt that it will be hard, and also the fact that I probably can't do it on my own, but I will try to leave a legacy that someone will want to follow. I am a true believer in the statement that we are all created equal, although I too can succumb to stereotyping.
Here is a link to an article about how a media analyst saw sexism and racism in the election coverage...I thought it was interesting!
http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2008/10/14/media-analyst-sees-racism-sexism-election-coverage/
I also think that blogging is a great way for people to voice these opinions and maybe if there are enough of us, someone will catch on and start making changes. In addition to the benefits of blogging about these important issues, I really enjoyed blogging. I have never done it before. I have always know that I express my feelings better in writing. If I ever want to tell someone how I truly feel (good or bad!) I will write them a note, email, etc. because I truly love writing. It lets me be me and I think I am a better communicator through my writing, especially when it is something I am passionate about. Having this blog has really let me express how I feel about the topic of race and gender in the media. I never really thought of blogging before this assignment because it seemed time consuming and odd that people would actually want to read about what I have to say. All in all, I am glad I got this opportunity and who knows..maybe I will continue to be a blogger!
Although at times this class was heated and challenging, I think everyone took something away and benefited from it. The discussions were often controversial but it gave students an outlet and a "safe zone" to express how they truly feel about the subject. No matter what someone said, they knew we were all listening and taking into consideration what they had to say. I approached the class very optimistically and am glad I did so. I know a few people who stayed pretty close minded and I don't think they really benefited like I did. I am now more aware of other peoples feelings on subjects like race and gender in the media and also more aware myself of the stereotypes around us that we have to change.
This summer, as I intern in our nation's capital, I will take what I have learned in this class and start my part in the change that needs to happen. Working at a huge television news network, I am confident that I will have that opportunity and hope that my fellow interns and co-workers will help me pioneer that change.
What an opportunity. Good luck.
ReplyDelete