Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Offensive Ad's

I have always heard that there have been advertisements that are racist or offensive but until recently I have never fully understood the extent of these ads.
Another course I am taking this semester, intro to ad, presented me with this new found knowledge about how people today are still using offensive ads. The offensive ads do not stop at people of color, but can target different genders and even emotionally unstable people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vnzAMqDw4w

This YouTube video shows you a billboard advertisement that Sony put out for their new PSP gaming system. The ad is supposed to let viewers know that a new white version of the hand held game system will be coming out, but the ad is very offensive. It shows a white lady grabbing a black lady's face and appears to be in a dominating stance. The YouTube video explains that this campaign was banned and Sony later apologized, but it just appalled me that someone in this day and age would even think of doing an advertisement like that.
Another advertisement that was brought to my attention was this advertisement that Dolce and Gabanna put out.


This ad was actually titled "gang rape". I am postitve that there is not one woman who would not be offended by this picture, let alone its title. Not only is this ad offensive to women, but I'm sure that it is extremely offensive to those who have been raped as well. People who havebeen victims of rape do not want that crime to be fantisized or to be reminded of the memory. One again, I was in utter shock when I learned that such an advertisement even existed. Thankfully the ad was banned and removed.

2 comments:

  1. You would think that there would be someone on the staff who would say, Excuse me but I think we need to find a different way of getting that message out that will still excite the audience. Maybe they need to take the classes that you are enrolled in this semester. Hopefully, you will have that opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am taking Intro to ad this semester too. When Professor Tarpenning showed the powerpoint on this lecture I was totally blown away!!!

    For these types of ads to actually make it to print without anyone saying anything is completely ridiculous. I mean what about key publics? Did Playstation think that their market for African Americans would increase with their ad? Did D&G thin they would see more clothes to women?

    Perhaps they've run out of ideas and have found the only way to get any attention is to shock. This gives them more free advertising because everyone is talking about it. I think that the media should refuse to report instances like this so the images shown will flutter away into oblivion--after being banned, of course.

    By glorifying hatred and evil, these types of ads take any progress we have made towards gender and race relations and flushes it down the toilet.

    ReplyDelete