Monday, February 9, 2009

positive images of women in the media

As a woman, i am concerned with the images that are portrayed throughout the media in regards to how a woman is supposed to look. It seems that everything has to be about sex. All I seem to hear is "sex sells" this and "sex sells" that. Can we not come up with another way to sell products? Instead of Carls Jr. trying to sell a hamburger by having Paris Hilton rub her wet, half-naked body with one, why cant they just show a family sharing burgers and a good time together? To me, advertisements like this are pathetic and it seems like a lazy way to advertise something. It is so un original and not creative you would think they would almost be embarrassed. Cant someone come up with a new idea?!




Well, someone has certainly started a new trend. Dove is taking part in a new campaign that I think should be a model to other companies out there who are trying to sell products, especially to women. When we see commercials or ads that are of 6 foot tall models who weigh 105 pounds our confidence is not going to skyrocket and we are going to strive to be something that is not human or remotely normal. Dove's concept of using real people as their models is ingenious. Women want to see real people that look like them and that they can relate to. They will relate to the "models" and in my opinion this seems like it would increase sells. I mean, what is photoshop really? To me, it is a lie. No woman on the cover of a magazine looks the way they do on that cover as they would in real life. It's called airbrush people! To me, it might as well be called a lie and I do not think it is ethical to lie to innocent people who just want to read their magazines. I mean why cant we put the "celebs" on the cover as they really are? If they are so much like us why cant we see them that way? To help women's confidance and self-esteem grow, I think that the natural beauty in everyone should be embraced and that the fake air-brushed pictures should be put to shame because that is not how people truly are. Thank you Dove for hopefully starting a trend in the media. No more "sex sells"...how about more "real life" sells.


2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with the idea of doing away with the "sex sells" campaign, which seems to dominate every advertising agency. I too think the Paris Hilton burger ad was ridiculous. It definitely did NOT make me want to buy a burger... I'll take a clean, non-rubbed-all-over-a-body burger, thank you. I realize that boys may be thinking it's only because I'm a heterosexual girl that I don't like this ad, but does a soapy burger really sound good to anyone? I really think this ad sells sex alone (or perhaps a raunchy car wash) and the idea of going to Carl's Jr. to get a good burger is completely lost.

    ReplyDelete