
After watching the video in class on Monday, I started thinking about my meaning of privilege. Before this video I really didnt have a definition of privilege and dont even think i really knew what it was. I had heard people say stuff like its easier to be white and but not frequently and I didnt really understand why that was being said. After his video, I immideatley became interested in what he was saying and took it to heart. Although his approach was very intense and almost offensive to me as a white girl I now understand that privilege is a very true problem in our society still today.
In regards to how the media utilizes privilege in media representation, I can not really say I have a specific example in mind...maybe I dont watch enough tv! But...after a few examples in class I agree that in Grey's Anatomy the Asian doctor is represented how people stereotype Asian Women. She is very smart, not attractive, passive and never the "sex object."
The one drop rule, a term that holds a person with any trace of African ancestry is considered black, is still a belief in most of society today. I cant speak for everyone, but especially from the last election I think that most people only focus on the black aspect of people rather than the other ancestry a person has. Barack Obama is half white but the only thing being said is that he is the first African American president and how historical it is and such. Dont get me wrong, it IS historical but I think that the one drop rule applies here because no one calls him white. This is just one example, but I think it is good evidence that the one drop rule does still apply in many parts of the country at least.
I totally agree that as adults we have a responsiblility to identify new information and change our behavior based on this new found awareness. If we didnt take this responsibilty nothing would ever change. Privilege would keep occuring and that would not be fair to anyone. I know I dont want to succeed in life just because of the color of my skin. I want to compete on an equal level with everyone and get to the top on my own. Public awareness is important for this issue and even though Tim Wise is a bit controversial I think it is what people need to hear. People need to become aware of this issue and help to do something about it. Corporate America needs to see his video.

Did you happen to keep a list or record of any privilege you may have or witnessed?
ReplyDeleteHi Allison! I agree with you about the Tim Wise video. I hadn't really even thought about the word privilege before either. So I didn't really realize it was such a big problem. Also, in regards to your media example, I agree that there are a lot of stereotypes on television. You could flip through every channel and most likely find some sort of stereotype, a lot of them being racial or ethnic. I didn't really think the one-drop rule was still in effect, but I agree with you that everyone did seem to focus on the black part of him. Also, I really liked your Obama picture!
ReplyDeleteReally?
ReplyDelete